Community Clusters – Haiti
Location: Les Cayes, Torbeck, Mandarin, Ecole Pont Gaudin, Hatte – Haiti
Client: US Navy Facilities South East (NAVFAC SE)
Design: Palgag Building Technologies LTD
NAVFAC SE Program
These design and build projects, five community clusters, under three separate contracts, are part of U.S. Southern Command’s Humanitarian Assistance Program in Haiti.
Each site consists of school building, community center building, medical clinic and water well. The community clusters provide much needed facilities to the local population and function as evacuation centers in the case of hurricanes or other natural disasters.
As the main contractor PALGAG was responsible for all the construction management including engineering support, procurement, logistics, project management, and implementation of Quality Control and Health & Safety plans, matching the client (NAVFAC) requirements.
About the project
All sites are located in difficult and/or challenging surrounding, having almost no local sources for materials, tools and equipment, requiring a very accurate operational plan.
For the successful execution of these contracts the following skills / expertise were required: multi-discipline design capabilities, full construction capabilities, construction management, engineering support, logistic and procurement planning, human resources.
The total amount of the five sites area is about 41,000 square meters, and those sites include about 5,000 built square meters.
The scope of work includes the following:
- Site works and site development to include access roads, parking areas, site drainage, fencing and gates.
- Concrete works: all concrete for all the locations was produced on site by Palgag, and was continuously tested to match contract requirements.
- PEB: Pre- engineered metal buildings were implemented for all main buildings – schools, community centers and medical clinics.
- Interior works, to include interior partitions covered with metal liners, floor finishes, acoustic ceiling, ceiling fans, and the required equipment for kitchens, bathrooms and classrooms.
- MEP: mechanical, electrical and plumbing works. A fire alarm system, including control panel, was implemented in each building.
- Utilities: main power connection and power distribution, with a backup generator, sanitary piping septic tanks, leach fields and water supply / distribution, to include water wells and purification systems.